Phoenix, AZ asked in Social Security, Consumer Law and Banking for Arizona

Q: I am on social security disability my mother has been my payee i have noticed more and more money coming up short bills

Not being paid tried getting info about my account only to find outonly she has access to the account and only she can make any changes or access statements what can i do i am now homeless her and my brother just tell me i don't have any money left the only bill thats paid is a 33 dollar monthly cell phone bill s.s. will change payee but need a bank stmt i can't get because of her denying me access to my account l have reported it several times but they still don't investigate i think its wrong that i don't have access to my account but she allows my felon brother access to my account the bank and social security don't seem to want to check it out. When my benefits come in she immediately transfers all my funds to her and my brothers accounts i don't know if s.s. won't investigate because of someway she has changed my account i have witnesses and they still refuse to help or that i need a bank statement she will not let me have she says it has her name on it its her money

1 Lawyer Answer
Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick
  • Business Law Lawyer
  • Tallahassee, FL

A: If you have reason to suspect that the payee on your Social Security Disability account is either not giving you sufficient walk-around money to use, or is spending your benefits on things other than your living expenses you should contact the Social Security Administration; there is probably a local off of the SSA somewhere in your area.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.