Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Arizona Social Security Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Employment Discrimination, Employment Law, Personal Injury and Social Security for Arizona on
Q: I am without gainful employment with an unnoticed permanent total disability of a traumatic brain injury can I get help

Due to an industrial commission stipulation agreement the state of Arizona's benefits have been denied due to a false interpretation of the disability

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Dec 7, 2019

I'm sorry for the impact this injury has had upon your life. You chose categories that make sense for injury/disability. But you mention the Industrial Commission of Arizona. If this involves an injury that occurred in the course of your employment, and you had a workers' compensation attorney at... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security and Criminal Law for Arizona on
Q: I am the payee for my moms social security. I used money to stay off streets when homeless. SS found out.

Social security left mesg. Wanting to talk to me cause they are investigating this. The want me to call. Im scared.

K. Bryan Goodman
K. Bryan Goodman answered on Nov 1, 2019

The most important piece of advice in this situation is not to speak with the investigators without an attorney present. Do not think you can simply explain the situation or talk your way out of it. That will not happen. Best of luck!

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Arizona on
Q: I received fully favorable decision on my SSDI 6/19The judge agreed that I became disabled April15, 2016. I didn’t apply

For SSDI until Jan 3

2017. How far is my back pay? Are the rules correct that I can be paid only up to 12 months less the 5 month waiting period??

Don Antonio Fendon
Don Antonio Fendon answered on Jul 8, 2019

The claimant applying for Social Security Title II disability benefits can receive retroactive benefits for up to 12 months from the date of filing for disability. Since the claimant was found to be disabled on April 15, 2016, and he/she did not file until January 3, 2017, the Administration can... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security, Consumer Law and Banking for Arizona on
Q: I am on social security disability my mother has been my payee i have noticed more and more money coming up short bills

Not being paid tried getting info about my account only to find outonly she has access to the account and only she can make any changes or access statements what can i do i am now homeless her and my brother just tell me i don't have any money left the only bill thats paid is a 33 dollar monthly... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Jul 5, 2019

If you have reason to suspect that the payee on your Social Security Disability account is either not giving you sufficient walk-around money to use, or is spending your benefits on things other than your living expenses you should contact the Social Security Administration; there is probably a... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce, Family Law and Social Security for Arizona on
Q: How and what makes you qualification obtained alimony and Social Security benefits?

We have been married for 22 years, am I able to get any alimony from him? He is now 62 years old.

Randi Sirlin
Randi Sirlin answered on Aug 22, 2018

Your case is very fact based. Arizona used to have guidelines for payment of alimony (now called "spousal maintenance). When those guidelines were in place, and given what facts you have provided, you would have likely have qualified for "lifetime spousal maintenance.

Without the...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation and Social Security for Arizona on
Q: Can a Notice of Errata be used to correct for factual error by the opposing litigant in civil case in fed distr Court?
Joel Friedman
Joel Friedman answered on Apr 15, 2018

I do not accept clients with United States District Court civil cases. My practice is limited to representation of individuals with Arizona work injury claims

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Arizona on
Q: Was divorced after 20 years of marriage. Does my ex have to draw social security when he is retirement age?

If he decides to continue working after 65, is it possible for me to draw his social security before him. I'm 59 now and he's 58. I don't mind working till I'm 62 or 65 but I have osteoarthritis in my knees and was wondering how much longer I need to work?

Joel Friedman
Joel Friedman answered on Nov 12, 2017

This is the Social Security Administration page for you as a divorced spouse. You may be able to receive benefits before your ex-husband, but there is a reduction if you request them before your full retirement age. You should also look into disability payments for yourself, on your own work... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Arizona on
Q: I am 62 and my wife 55. My wife needs 10 more credits to meet the 40 credit minimum for benefits. I want to retire now.

I am afraid my benefits will be affected if she works. Thank you.

Joel Friedman
Joel Friedman answered on Feb 23, 2017

Your wife's earned income should have no effect on your early retirement benefits. Your payments are only affected if you work and earn more than the exempt amount, which ranges from $16,920-$44,880 in 2017 (see below)

Benefits Withheld When Earnings Exceed Exempt Amounts

Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Arizona on
Q: Can someone become a payee without the original payees permission on social securitg
Joel Friedman
Joel Friedman answered on Dec 21, 2016

The assignment of a payee is within the discretion of the SSA and there probably has to be a good reason to change. The original payee likely will be asked to respond to any concerns or complaints, but the ultimate decision is up to the agency

2 Answers | Asked in Appeals / Appellate Law and Social Security for Arizona on
Q: My SSDS appeal was remanded back to the local ALJ. I cannot get an atty, it seems, because the atty I had, withdrew.

He withdrew after I rec'd a denial decision from the ALJ hearing. I filed the appeal pro se. I rec'd the remand ltr. March, 2016. Why will no attorney take my case? The ALJ granted my attys motion to withdraw, and by doing so, has left me in a difficult, helpless, position. (reasons I've... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Nov 29, 2016

Suggest you look for members of the Arizona Trial Lawyers Assn who take Social Security cases. Is it something about your phone demeanor or lack of willingness to do some legwork yourself? Maybe it's your case? Your prior attorney should give you your medical records. You can ask the state... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Arizona on
Q: Can you use a social security number as an authenticate identity in the private sector
Adam Studnicki
Adam Studnicki answered on Dec 28, 2015

The context of this question is not clear.

Please Take Notice: I am not your lawyer unless we enter into an engagement agreement in writing. This is only general information. It is NOT legal advice, and it may not work for your specific situation. It is impossible to evaluate a legal...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Arizona on
Q: I was recorded at the Department of Social Security for an interview. But I had spoken in another language a few times,

to myself, although I did speak English almost the entire time. do they have a translator/interpreter for my interview? As in do they review the recording with someone of my native language to translate what I said? There was no live interpreter during the interview itself.

Adam Studnicki
Adam Studnicki answered on Oct 11, 2015

I'm not sure what your goal is here or why you were speaking to yourself during an interview. A social security / disability lawyer should be able to assist.

Please Take Notice: I am not your lawyer unless we enter into an engagement agreement in writing. This is only general information....
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Arizona on
Q: How do I contact the ninth circuit court to file a for an extension for me S S appeal

Run out of time unable to get an attorney

Mr Frankie Adamo Esq
Mr Frankie Adamo Esq answered on May 2, 2015

Start with the Court's web site: They have guides and forms there to assist you with requesting an extension.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.