Wentzville, MO asked in Family Law, Arbitration / Mediation Law, Civil Litigation and Landlord - Tenant for Virginia

Q: Ex won't pay back security deposit refund that I paid.

So when my ex and I moved into an apartment together, I paid the $500 security deposit and we agreed that she wouldn't have to split it because I would get it back when we moved out. So when we move out, the apartment complex sends her the check by accident with both our names on it. She chased it without telling me she got it and refuse to reimburse me. What can I do?

1 Lawyer Answer
F. Paul Maloof
F. Paul Maloof
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: Your mosy likely recourse for success is to file a lawsuit, probably in Small Claims Court, if the amount is $5000 or less.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.