Virginia Arbitration / Mediation Law Questions & Answers

Q: A website policy is dated 2011 yet the most current policy is dated 2017. Which policy takes legal precedence?

1 Answer | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law, Business Law and Internet Law for Virginia on
Answered on Nov 24, 2018
Timur Akpinar's answer
It could be difficult for an attorney to answer without reading both policies. You could present both policies to an attorney in your state.

Tim Akpinar

Q: A company in Iowa has a judgement against me. I live in Virginia. Can I be forced to dip into my retirement accounts?

1 Answer | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law for Virginia on
Answered on Jul 12, 2018
Thomas A. Grossman's answer
Generally speaking, a Judgment stays valid of many years, depending on the state where the judgment was entered. And, while not every creditor who wants to execute a judgment (collect on the judgment) is willing to go to another state to do so, they have the right under the "Sister States Judgment Act" to execute the Judgment according to the procedures set forth in that state. Since I don't know each state's law on execution of judgments, I am familiar with my state's (California's) law on...

Q: I have a potential dispute with an water equipment distributor.

2 Answers | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law, Business Law and Civil Litigation for Virginia on
Answered on Mar 12, 2018
Timothy R Johnson's answer
At face value, it sounds like you might have some valid claims. But the only way to find out with some real certainty and fully assess your legal options is to consult a business/commercial litigation attorney. Attorneys need to review all the pertinent documents, correspondences, marketing materials, and your own version of events to assess the strength of your case and what issues might be involved. I strongly encourage you to contact a local business/commercial attorney.

Q: We purchased a flipped home that we were made to believe was in good condition it is not

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law, Arbitration / Mediation Law and Construction Law for Virginia on
Answered on Feb 25, 2018
Richard Sternberg's answer
Sounds like you need a lawyer to evaluate whether you have a claim for treble damages plus attorneys fees and costs.

Q: If my ex files for divorce in Florida, while I'm in Fairfax Virginia, which state determines child support?

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce, Arbitration / Mediation Law and Child Support for Virginia on
Answered on Dec 11, 2017
Sharon R. Moss' answer
It depends on whether or not the court in Virginia can obtain personal jurisdiction over your ex. If so, then they can award child support based on Virginia guidelines. Otherwise, it may likely be based on the laws of the state in which he lives.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.