Cumberland, RI asked in Civil Rights, Landlord - Tenant and Criminal Law for Rhode Island

Q: Can I put my boyfriend on the lease for low income housing if we have a NCO? Will the landlord for low income find out?

So the police put a NCO on him because he hit me and now he has a felony. Now we are getting along and he is helping out with my kids. I got accepted into housing and want to add him on my lease so I don’t get in trouble when he’s there all the time. The landlord for low income housing needs his BCI but I’m not sure what will pop up... is it a good idea to have his BCI check? Will my name pop up for his felony? What does a BCI check run your name for low income housing? I just really need the help with my kids...

1 Lawyer Answer
Neville Bedford
Neville Bedford
  • Licensed in Rhode Island

A: You may want to go to the court to explain to the judge that you wish to have the NCO dropped to enable you to enjoy cohabitation and co-parent. If you just really need help with the kids and you are, in fact still in fear of imminent harm that supports a NCO, then you should probably seek the assistance of an attorney to help secure a child support order.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.