Miami, FL asked in Criminal Law, Immigration Law, Domestic Violence and Wrongful Death for California

Q: Is it extortion to demand money from a minor and threatening to cancel citizenship process?

Friend was brought to the United States at a young age illegally against their will. Friend has actively sought out proper citizenship and is currently very close to achieving citizenship. However, stepmother has inserted herself into the minor's situation and is demanding money at inconsistent deadlines and threatening to force the father into canceling the minor's active citizenship process if money is not received in extremely short time frame.

2 Lawyer Answers
Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Palm Desert, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: more info needed.

who paid you? minor or adult?

was minor 18 when he entered into contract?

technically can not do so until 18

are you demanding money or are they demanding refund?

Hector E. Quiroga
Hector E. Quiroga
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV

A: Yes. This is extortion or something similar.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.