Glendale, CA asked in Contracts, Employment Law, Tax Law and Business Law for California

Q: How to pay taxes if you're a contractor? I signed W-9 form when I was hired. Thank you!


I have a question regarding taxes.

My situation a little bit complicated, as I couldn’t find the answer to it.

I’m in the US on an F1 visa, already finished my studying and I’m on OPT for 1 year right now, till the end of October.

To remain in-country legally, I had to register a company and become self-employed. My major is Computer Science, so from my understanding, I only had to obtain a Tax Registration Certificate from the City of LA.

But now I got a job as a contractor. I signed the W-9 form. Under the 2nd and 3rd bullet point, I filled out my name and chose “Individual/sole proprietor or C Corporation S Corporation Partnership Trust/estate single-member LLC” respectively.

So taxes are now my responsibility.

My question is what form should I fill out to pay taxes and how much I should pay?

Do I need to close self-employment now?

And is it possible to reduce taxes, such as the cost for an apartment where I’m working?

Thank you!

1 Lawyer Answer
Linda Simmons Campbell
Linda Simmons Campbell
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Burlington, CT

A: If your company is a pass through entity you would file a Schedule C. I recommend paying an accountant to prepare your return. They will be able to help you reduce your tax bill. Make sure you use an experienced CPA.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.