Clinton, TN asked in Employment Law, Tax Law, Business Law and Social Security for Tennessee

Q: How to get SSA withholding that my now deceased employer failed to send to SSA?

My employer failed to send SSA withholding to SSA for many years. All employees' SSA statements show $0 for those years. She passed away last year and her family closed that business entity and reopened with a new name, retaining all employees. The new company has paid SSA as required. The family promised employees that the back SSA would be paid, but has thus far failed to do so. Now the new company is closing and has asked us to sign a release to receive a severance package. Is it safe to sign this release since the new company has paid all taxes owed to us? Or will signing this release make it so we can't go after them for the previous company's fraudulent keeping of our SSA contributions?

1 Lawyer Answer

A: Generic legal advice to all humans being asked to sign anything important--ever: Before signing any document that in an y way raises concerns about the possible affect of that document you should ALWAYS send a copy of the document to your family lawyer and ask them to flyspeck it and advise you what it SAYS and what it MEANS.

If you do not have a family lawyer either get one or hire one for this single event.

(Note: Reviewing very important documents affecting your relationship with any Tennessee employer that is or was involved in a federal law dispute--like this one--does not have to be done by a Tennessee lawyer. Shop around, using the Find a Lawyer tab.)

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.