New York, NY asked in Real Estate Law, Civil Litigation and Landlord - Tenant for New York

Q: Landlord files a lawsuit in 2017. Never sent me any notice and its 2020. How can i get this cleared from my record?

In 2016 I lived with roommates and moved out the following year. I did not renew my lease and one roommate ended up staying. I returned my keys to the landlord and even wrote a nortarized letter stating i will not be returning, as per their request. Fast forward to 2020 i learn that they had filed a lawsuit against me. I dont understand why or how since i returned my keys and never signed renewal lease with them. They never even sent me summons so i never knew! The lawsuit was filed in 2017. I call their offices to find out and my name is still on the lease!

What steps can i take to protect myself?

1 Lawyer Answer
Michael David Siegel
Michael David Siegel
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: If there is an existing judgment, and you never knew about the case, and you have a return of keys defense, you can move to vacate the judgment. I charge $800 for this motion if it is in Civil Court in NYC.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.