Baltimore, MD asked in Employment Discrimination and Employment Law for Maryland

Q: I was doused with hydraulic fluid and diesel fuel while at work. My manager didn't report the incident and I became Ill

After constantly asking my manager to why he didn't report the incident he tells me if I report it I would lose my job..I reported it to regional manager, HR, then the safety coordinator. And filed a workmans compensation claim. What other lawsuits can I file

1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: Unless there is a third party liable for the accident that resulted in your being doused with hazardous chemicals, e.g., the negligence or product liability of some person or company who is not your employer, then you are limited to workers' compensation for your personal injuries and lost wages (unless you are also covered by disability insurance separate from workers' comp). You can file a complaint for safety violations in the workplace if there is some hazardous condition or safety violation at work, and you do that with OSHA for a federal complaint, and with MOSH for a Maryland complaint (within the Maryland Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation). If your supervisor or employer retaliates against you by reassigning you to a lesser or less desirable position, cuts your pay or hours, terminates you, or otherwise takes punitive measures against you for filing either a WCC claim or a safety complaint, there are civil and regulatory administrative actions and penalties, including damages and an award of attorney's fees, you can can pursue which are spelled out in those statutes.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.