Whittier, CA asked in Employment Discrimination and Employment Law for California

Q: Employer accepted WORK COMP Claim but stated cannot pay, is that legal in WC?

I received a memo 3/24/20, from WC Office / self insured, that states Injured worker became P&S as of 2/4/20, IME Report. The claim for industrial injury has been accepted, but WC office states it cannot pay for time lost from 3/18/20 and continue while the Division explores alternative work assignments and transfer opportunities. As of to date the employee CANNOT BE ACCOMMODATED, therefore the employee will remain off work: 2/4/20 thru 5/19/20 or until the accommodation can be made.

Employee was paid Supplemental disability benefits during this period, now WC office states employee was overpaid and now owes back that money.

The WC office clearly accepts the claim but will not pay, so the only benefit available to employee are disability benefits.

Is my employer correct?

1 Lawyer Answer
Louis George Fazzi
Louis George Fazzi
  • Employment Law Lawyer
  • Jess Ranch, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You need to talk to a Worker's Compensation attorney, and ask her/him to handle your case for you. Your employer is not your friend when it comes to a worker's compensation claim, because it then goes into the hands of the worker's compensation insurance company for the employer. And those people are not your friends. Without proper representation, you can end up not receiving all the benefits to which you are entitled. Therefore, you need a good worker's comp lawyer.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.