Salinas, CA asked in Child Custody, Child Support, Divorce and Family Law for California

Q: How is back child support calculated? And how is the start date determined?

Married 8 years with 2 kids 11 and 7

Separated for the last 3 years.

We have a written mutually set amount of 1700/ month for Child support. Aug2017-oct2019 (letter, emails and bank statements as reference)

October of 2019 communication between us turned. child support stopped for October and November. With the promise to catch up and get back on track. in December 2019 he sent 2k.

It has been 10.5 months since any support has been received.

His gross monthly is 10k We share the kids 20%- him 80% me and I have not been able to work.

1 Lawyer Answer
Manuel Alzamora Juarez
Manuel Alzamora Juarez pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Berkeley, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Sometimes MSA's for child support work and sometimes it has serious consequences. In the case of retroactive child support, the courts look at date of separation and often to the date of request for orders. Your retroactivity, I have found to my chagrin begins from the date of request for orders. Thus, you year without getting any child support may be overlooked by the court. If you are having a difficult time, ask the child services department to help you and get you support for your child.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.