Cavalier, ND asked in Bankruptcy, Divorce, Family Law and Foreclosure for California

Q: My soon to be ex left the state with the kids. She left me in a house we cannot afford in California. I also want to go.

Soon to be ex left with kids to AZ. She left me with a house in California we cannot afford. I need it gone before foreclosure. How can I get her to make the payments for a few months? She lives with her parents and teaches. She REFUSES to sign realtor contract just to be mean. I feel helpless. Besides giving the house back to the bank how can I get her

to pay the mortgage as I have done the last 4 months? She refuses to cooperate in ANY way. Should I just let the house go or can you give me some (inexpensive) options to give her? Please help! My house would be sold at a loss.

1 Lawyer Answer
Tobie Brina Waxman
Tobie Brina Waxman
  • Culver City, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: As long as there is no legal action pending (i.e. a divorce) and as long as you are not represented by counsel, you are helpless. The first step towards getting control over the situation is getting court orders. Start by filing a petition for dissolution.

Shawna Murray agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.