West Hartford, CT asked in Employment Law, Civil Rights and Libel & Slander for Connecticut

Q: Do I have any legal standing with both the city official and my job?

I was just insulted and belittled by a city official regarding a building I manage. The city official used profanity and said no one here even speaks inglish and continued to yell and when I asked for his name he got 3inches from my face and was yelling at me with over a dozen workers present that witnessed it all. I called the police at which time he told me I would go to jail and did not wait for the police. I did take a picture of his license plate and got a police report. To make matters worst I told my boss and he stated for me not to get the company involved which made me feel worst. I do have a police report and I left my job as I felt the most stressing episode I'm my life. What can I do?

2 Lawyer Answers
Joseph Maya
Joseph Maya pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Westport, CT
  • Licensed in Connecticut

A: I am sorry to hear about your situation with your former employer. You will probably need to hire an attorney licensed to practice in Connecticut to fully address your legal questions. I wish you the best of luck in the resolution of your situation.

Karen M. Hertz
Karen M. Hertz
  • Croton-On-Hudson, NY
  • Licensed in Connecticut

A: A little more information is needed to fully understand what happened. Did you file a police report?

This conduct could be considered harassment, bullying and possibly assault. However, it is unclear what

happened? Did this occur while you were on the job?

Please note that this is not intended to provide legal advice, only to give an opinion.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.