Hayward, CA asked in Consumer Law, Criminal Law and Identity Theft for California

Q: I was scammed by accepting fraudulent check and asked to transfer money to a bank account

I have filed police complaint.The person cheated me by signing lease and showed fake ID proof .Sent.me.fake check for deposit and little over of deposit amount and asked me to transfer remains amount to his bank account

I know only the bank account number and routing number and bank name.How do I go about filing sub poena and law suit

1 Lawyer Answer
Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Palm Desert, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: much more info is needed.

if the amount is under $10,000, I would suggest going to small claims court where you can get a date within months rather than many years.

you probably can't afford to hire a lawyer for this and even if you could you might be throwing good money after bad.

most scammers are going to be judgement proof.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.