Vancouver, WA asked in DUI / DWI, Cannabis & Marijuana Law and Car Accidents for Washington

Q: Can an opposing party sue my family if I where to get into an accident because I have THC in my system?

I am 18 and have my medical marijuana card. I live in the state Washington. My parents claim that if I were to get into an accident since I would have THC in my system the opposing party could sue my family. Keep in mind I never drive under the influence. I am under there car insurance as well. Is this true?

1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: A Washington attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for two weeks. Until you are able to consult with a local attorney for the most accurate state rules, in many jurisdictions, the claimant will usually go after the vehicle operator and the owner. Those two parties are generally named in legal papers commencing lawsuits. Sometimes they're one and the same, but in the event they're not, both are generally named. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.