Tulsa, OK asked in Civil Litigation, Contracts and Criminal Law for Oklahoma

Q: How can I get 7/11 or the suspect(s) to be held liable for damages to my vehicle and PTSD?

My car was caught in the crossfire of a shooting that occurred at a 7/11 a month ago. My car suffered damage, and I was indeed in my vehicle the time of the shooting. Luckily, I did not have any physical injuries. I am needing direction on how and who to hold responsible for my damages.

1 Lawyer Answer
David A. Cincotta
David A. Cincotta pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Oklahoma City, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: For restitution for the damages to your vehicle, contact the DA's office prosecuting the individuals who were shooting. If you don't know if charges have been filed, you can contact the police department to inquire. The DA's office will generally have you fill out and submit a restitution form requesting the defendants be required to pay restitution. Doing this does not cost you anything (other than time), but it may be a long wait before you receive any restitution money depending on how if the individuals are charged, whether they go to prison, who else they may be obligated to pay restitution, etc.

If you are interested in seeking a judgment against the individuals or possibly the business where this occurred, you will want to talk to a civil litigation/personal injury attorney. Whichever attorney you contact should be able to talk to you about who may be liable, possibility of recovery, etc.

Howard Berkson and Charles Watts agree with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.