Saint Clair, MI asked in Real Estate Law and Insurance Bad Faith for Michigan

Q: just purchased new build builder is not responding to the problems, roof leaks basement drains cloged outside grade bad

What do I do?

2 Lawyer Answers
Kenneth V Zichi
Kenneth V Zichi
  • Insurance Claims Lawyer
  • Fowlerville, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Have you submitted a written 'punch list' of items to be fixed/finished?

Or have you made the final payment accepting the property as is?

If the later, you may have a hard time.

It is hard to say what you should do next without also knowing what you have done so far.

You should find a local real estate lawyer and provide that attorney a copy of your closing documents and any 'punch lists' that have circulated. Without that information, we're going to be shooting in the dark, and won't provide you anything useful. Seek that local legal opinion. The cost for the initial conference should be minimal but that is the only way to get real 'advice' as opposed to general information which is what forums like this are for.

Good luck!

-- This answer is offered for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney/client relationship.

I am licensed to practice in Michigan only. Please seek competent local legal help if you feel you need legal advice

David Soble
David Soble
  • Farmington Hills, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Your building agreement should require that the work performed by the builder be done in a workman like manner. If you are having issues with drainage or grading, you should first go to the building dept. at your municipality and see the plans that the builder filed. Then ensure that the site plan is consistent with the plans filed with the planning dept. Obtain estimates for the repairs. If the builder is not responding to your requests, you may need to hire a real estate attorney and press your case against them at court. Usually a legal complaint will elicit a response from the builder to correct the problem. If not, a judgment often will.

See more at

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.