This site is undergoing scheduled maintenance. Please check back in a few minutes.
San Francisco, CA asked in Employment Law and Immigration Law for California

Q: Is it OK to start working before receiving work authorization?

My husband and I married on January and we filled for a green card and adjustment of status as well as the work and travel authorization.

It looks like I have an opportunity to start working in an property management firm and they would be willing to hire me. I have a social security number and I will pay taxes. Will it affect my green card application?

I really need an income, not working for another 6-9 months is very difficult financially. Thanks for answers.

1 Lawyer Answer
Stanley Dale Radtke
Stanley Dale Radtke
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • San Leandro, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: From the USCIS webpage:

"An adjustment applicant applying as an immediate relative may be eligible to adjust status even if:

The applicant is now employed or has ever been employed in the United States without authorization;"

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.