Malibu, CA asked in Family Law, Divorce and Immigration Law for California

Q: My wife put a restraining order on me. I’m in a tough situation. What kind of help do I need?

My wife got a short term restraining order the day I got arrested for domestic violence. I’m assuming she’s going to divorce me and extend the restraining order. The restraining order I was given says I must move out of the apartment. How do I get my stuff out without breaking the order and without making it seem like I am or have abandoned them? We have a 2 year old together. I came to this country as a young child and am an immigrant. I was going to apply for my citizenship, but have been on the fence about divorcing her. I would like to end things peacefully and to be able to see my son. I just want peace for everyone. I would like to know which or what kind of lawyer to seek out. Family? Immigration? Both?? Please help

1 Lawyer Answer
Nadine C. Atkinson-Flowers
Nadine C. Atkinson-Flowers
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Philadelphia, PA

A: You should immediately speak to an immigration lawyer and tell them everything. Since you are not a citizen this becomes very urgent. You will also need a family lawyer regarding the divorce and your child. Do not return to the home until you have spoken with a lawyer as to do so will breach the restraining order. The lawyer can assist you with the correct way in which you can get your things.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.