Los Angeles, CA asked in Consumer Law and Business Law for California

Q: Can we do an agreement without A?

1: Person A owes our company $10,000.

But, he is not answering the phone, no email reply, no postmail reply.

We have his address, but not sure he still lives there.

2: Person B(A's relative) told us he will pay us A's debt for 10 installments.

3: We accepted it and want to do an agreement, however B also lost contact with A, and B wants us to forgive A's debt officially, because B will pay us.

Can we do the agreement without person A? (Because there is no way to reach him)

If we can, what is the process and what kind of agreement should we do?

Thank you

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Leon Bayer
Leon Bayer
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Long Beach, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Sure, you can do it yourself, but if you want an enforceable agreement, you should have a lawyer handle it.

Frankly, I see no point to any this and I think your just getting played. If B wants to pay, then what is stopping B? A and B are probably the same person. Even if they are different, I'm sure neither one will pay you, and I smell a trick is being played on you by both parties, possibly involving a corporate shelI game. I suggest you proceed with a small claims court case against your debtor, immediately.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.