Concord, CA asked in Banking, Business Formation and Consumer Law for California

Q: The bank won’t give me my money or close my account

A friend of mine Give me a check and asked me to put in my account it cleared the bank refuses to give me the money for the money cleared on the 14th I just found out today the 23rd They told me they wanted my friend to verify himself so I went and got him got all the documents to verify himself And they still refuse to give me my money so I told him I wanted to close my account they refused Now they want a bunch of other demands to be made and I love it in order to get my money but they froze my account now I can’t pay my bills my rent I’m stuck my taxes are coming and these people refuse to give me my money I don’t know what to do they are calling me a thief and told me to have my friend cancel the check which would make me look guilty of something I haven’t done so he refuses

1 Lawyer Answer
Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Newport Beach, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: small claims allows up to $10,000. It may be the fastest way to unfreeze the account, and the bank should not put a freeze on any funds not a part of the check. Consult with a local attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.