San Jose, CA asked in Consumer Law, Arbitration / Mediation Law, Banking and Civil Litigation for California

Q: Mt son received unemployment benefits that were deposited to a debit card serviced by Bank of America.

Last October my son discovered that over 16,000 dollars were missing from his account. He promptly reported the missing funds to BofA and filed a police report. Bank of America has repeatedly denied his claim. What can he do to get his money back?

1 Lawyer Answer
Dan Rowan Cortright
Dan Rowan Cortright
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sebastopol, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: File a claim with the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation. His money is insured up to $250,000.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.