Cleveland, OH asked in Libel & Slander, Personal Injury and Employment Law for Ohio

Q: Publicly shamed in office for a born disability, reported it, quit, offered severance to not sue.. what are my options?

Former coworkers publicly shamed me for my walleye by printing crossed eyed pictures and hanging them in the office. They also harassed with a number of other photos taken in the bathroom and hung them up. As you can imagine, this really took a toll on me and put me in a very depressed state for 6 months. Currently going to therapy for it. I reported it to my manager 3 times and nothing was done about it. Eventually I walked into my managers officer and quit after I requested for the third time to be moved into a different role outside of the branch. I was told I would lose my health benefits and that was the last straw. They refused my resignation and at first they offered me 25k severance. After investigating (they haven't seen the pictures of the harrassment), they told me they determined it was worth 10k severance. There are a lot of details here however what are my options here? To me not only is this unethical, there has to be several employment laws broken here

1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: An Ohio attorney could advise best, but your post remains open for two weeks. I'm sorry for your ordeal. Your category selections straddle a number of areas, but you did not include Employment Law as a heading. That might be one reason why the post remained open. You could reach out to employment law attorneys to see if a free initial consult is possible to briefly discuss the matter. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.