Seattle, WA asked in Personal Injury, Civil Litigation, Civil Rights and Education Law for Washington

Q: PE teacher slapped back of daughters hand

My daughter is in middle school in Washington state. She went to school today wearing some wedged boots forgetting that today was PE. When she entered the gym both teachers surrounded her and belittled her. They also made her hold her hand out and slapped the back of her hand. Do I have any recourse? My daughter is part Native American (wife is a registered tribal member) and suffers from anxiety. This attack has caused her a lot of mental pain as well.

1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: A Washington attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for a week. I'm sorry this happened to your daughter. From the situation you describe, it's possible evidence could be of a fleeting nature in terms of video recordings or eyewitness recollection. You could reach out to local attorneys to discuss. That would enable you to learn about your options. See if you could arrange a free initial consult. You could search for attorneys online and you could also use the "Find-a-Lawyer" tab above to locate attorneys in the Seattle area. If you do choose to explore your options, it would be better to move sooner than later, since video surveillance devices could record over older footage. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.