Glendale, CA asked in Immigration Law for California

Q: Hello. I was married a foreigner and applied for a green card. Okay e separated and I never followed up with immigration

Now I’m marring again and need to apply for green card for him . How do I know if my previous case is canceled or no

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Monica E Rottermann
Monica E Rottermann
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Santa Ana, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If you submitted the case with USCIS, you should have received correspondence about the case, and if you failed to follow up the case was likely denied or deemed abandoned. If you no longer have the paperwork or do not recall what you received, you can file a FOIA request with USCIS to get your file. If you file a new case for your new spouse, you will be asked if you have ever filed a petition for any other person and will have to explain what occurred with your first marriage/case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.