Columbus, OH asked in Criminal Law, Family Law, Education Law and Juvenile Law for Ohio

Q: Daughter turned 18 sept 30th ran away has missed school every day except 3 days school is kicking her out police won't

Help me with her because she's "18" she's not taking any of her depression meds birth control or anything she's doing drugs and drinking every day with this boyfriend 16 yes old police won't help me school is pressuring me I've told them she ran away but they said I'm still legally responsible for her yet cops or no one will help me with her or the horrible boyfriend and his family

1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: At 18, she is considered an independent adult, and she can make her own decisions free from parental control. You could file with the probate court to obtain guardianship of her -- if there is a doctor diagnosis that she might be a danger to herself or for other medical or psychological reasons. Otherwise, there might not be much you can do since she is legally considered an adult. Use the Find a Lawyer tab to retain a local attorney who handles guardianships in probate court to review the situation and advise you of your options.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.