Killeen, TX asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and Libel & Slander for Texas

Q: I am about to get charged for making a false statement about the police watching my house due to drugs? what kind of cri

me is this. I went to the national night out on September 20th and the police chief said to the police officer "her,its her".." investigation, tailed" the other police officer said "why?" and he replied "drugs". I took this personally as i have never even drunk alcohol, smokedcigarettes, or done a drug in my life.

1 Lawyer Answer
John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
  • Frisco, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: It seems unlikely you would be charged for making vague statements at a National Night Out event.

Making a false statement to a police officer that is material to an ongoing criminal investigation is a crime. From your question, it doesn’t sound like anything you said was material to a criminal investigation. Moreover, the circumstance of it being a National Night Out event, as opposed to at the scene of a crime or at the police station, work in your favor.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.