Baltimore, MD asked in Employment Law, Criminal Law and Libel & Slander for Maryland

Q: My employer filed a false police report against me. How can i sue for defamation and slander?

I was fired from my job and my employer went to the police and filed a false police report that was slanderous and defamation of character. They also choose to not pay me for my last week of employment. The case is ongoing with the police. I gave them all the proof of my innocence.

1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: First things first: hire a criminal defense attorney and focus on defendin and winning the criminal case. Until you win that, and avoid a conviction and possible jail, you have no viable civil suit. If you beat the criminal case, then discuss possible civil claims against your employer, but not before.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.