Winston-Salem, NC asked in Child Custody, Family Law and Criminal Law for North Carolina

Q: Nc child custody lawyer need help. Have to go back and want to know gull extend of options believe been screwed

Had custody case got 5050. Unsure never got a final copy and has been 4 years. Problems have persistent need to go back feel like right have been violated with the case need help going back

1 Lawyer Answer
Stephen Edward Robertson
Stephen Edward Robertson
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Greensboro, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: First you should call the clerk of court to find out if an Order has been entered. You should have been served, but it is possible that an Order was entered without you being served. The clerk will be able to inform you of the status of the case. If there is no actual written Order in the file, you may need to file a New Complaint as the Oral recitation of the Order is not the same as the actual entry of an Order. Otherwise, you may file a Motion for Contempt and Order to Show Cause if there is an Order that has been violated. You may also file a Motion to Modify if there is an Order that needs to be modified. All of these depend on the circumstances surrounding your case. The Clerk of Court can assist you with finding information about the status of an Order in your case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.