Seattle, WA asked in Immigration Law and Juvenile Law for Washington

Q: Am I able to travel outside the US with a sealed record from when I was under 18?

I have a sealed record from when I was under 18 and I am planning to travel to India for 2-3 months. This was originally a felony but got reduced to a misdemeanor and later sealed.

Also, Would I have to check the boxes that state criminal records? Because it is a sealed record?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Min Hwan Ahn
Min Hwan Ahn
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Philadelphia, PA

A: In general, if your criminal record has been sealed, it means that it is not accessible to the public, and it should not be considered when applying for most jobs, housing, or other opportunities. However, when it comes to international travel, the rules can be more complicated. It is possible that the sealed record could still be accessible to government agencies, including the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS).

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: The rules regarding disclosure of criminal records can vary depending on the specific situation and the country being visited. In general, if you are traveling to another country, you may be required to disclose any criminal history, even if the record is sealed or expunged. It is important to research the entry requirements of the country you are traveling to and consult with an attorney if you are unsure about what is required.

In regards to travel outside the United States, as a green card holder, you may need to show your criminal record to the border authorities upon re-entry. While the record may be sealed, it may still be taken into consideration by immigration officials in determining your admissibility to the United States. It is important to consult with an immigration attorney to determine the specific implications of your criminal record on your ability to travel and your immigration status.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.