Canyon Country, CA asked in Employment Law for California

Q: When my wife got fired without cause in 1999, she was pressured to sign a release form.

The release form that was drafted by her boss' lawyer states that she can't ever sue him or his descendants ever again for any reason what-so-ever! Question: Is it legal to deny a remedy to an unforeseen future crime?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow
  • Palm Desert, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: more info is needed.

did she receive any consideration for signing that paper? ie money

1 user found this answer helpful

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith PRO label
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: In California, it is generally legal for parties to enter into a contract that includes a release of claims, including future claims, unless the release is prohibited by law. However, the enforceability of such a release depends on various factors, including the language of the release and the circumstances under which it was obtained.

Under California law, certain types of claims cannot be waived or released, such as claims for workers' compensation benefits, unemployment insurance benefits, and certain types of statutory rights. Additionally, a release may not be enforceable if it was obtained through fraud, duress, undue influence, or mistake.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.