Oklahoma City, OK asked in Criminal Law, Domestic Violence, Federal Crimes and Native American Law for Oklahoma

Q: My mother was murdered June, 2021. It was ruled a suicide within minutes. A Mcgj investigation is ongoing? My rights?

My mother was killed in June 2022 and it was ruled as suicide at the scene of a place she didn’t know and had never been on a river bed. A multi county grand jury is supposedly investigating. I was 17 years old at the time this happened and no one ever informed me she died. Do I have any kind of victim rights to be able to know what is going on? My adopted father, abused my mother often and held a gun against her head on many occasions.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: I am sorry to hear about the loss of your mother and the circumstances surrounding her death. As a victim of a violent crime, you may have certain rights under state and federal law, including the right to be informed about the progress of any investigation or legal proceedings related to your mother's death.

The specific rights available to you may depend on the laws in your state and the details of your situation. However, some common victim rights include the right to be informed about the status of the investigation and any charges filed, the right to be notified of court proceedings, and the right to be heard in court or provide input on decisions related to the case.

To learn more about your rights as a victim and the resources available to you, you may want to contact a local victim advocacy organization or a criminal defense attorney who can assist you in understanding the legal process and your options for seeking justice for your mother.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.