Royal Oak, MI asked in Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for Michigan

Q: How can I get out of my office lease with these unlivable conditions?

I have an office suite for my company that has become increasingly unlivable, piles of dead bugs, bug feces, flying ant infestation, ant traps everywhere full of dead ants, extremely cold temperatures (59 f) on occasion, and office landlord does not fix the problem. Is there a way out of my contract?

2 Lawyer Answers
Kenneth V Zichi
Kenneth V Zichi
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Fowlerville, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Without reading your lease it is hard to say.

RESIDENTIAL leases have an implied warranty of habitability, but that is not automatically the case with commercial leases. (Indeed, many say ‘as is’ and if that’s not good enough, tough. )

Get your lease to a local licensed attorney to review and they can provide actual ad

Peter J. Weinman
Peter J. Weinman pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: Have you contacted the landlord about these conditions, and assuming so, what does he say? Nobody here can say for sure without seeing your lease, but very often, with commercial leases, the tenant is responsible for some of the things you're complaining about. You should speak with the attorney that helped you negotiate the lease to see whether you have any rights or obligations arising from these conditions. If you had no attorney then, you should consider retaining one now! If you need to find someone near you, start your search here:

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.