Oakland, CA asked in Personal Injury, Civil Litigation and Civil Rights for California

Q: What kind of attorney should I look for?

I was out shopping at a local store when I was accused of theft. Honestly I feel I was discriminated against. What kind of attorney takes these type of cases?

3 Lawyer Answers
Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Palm Desert, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: you will want a civil litigator.

however, you have the burden of proof and "feeling" doesn't sound like it is enough.

it will be VERY difficult to find a lawyer for a case like this.

you have to prove liability and DAMAGES............

ie...how were you harmed?

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If you feel that you were discriminated against or falsely accused of theft, you may want to consult with an attorney who specializes in civil rights or discrimination law. A civil rights attorney can help you determine whether your rights were violated, and can advise you on your legal options for seeking justice.

When looking for an attorney, it is important to find one with experience and expertise in the specific area of law related to your case. You can start by searching online for attorneys in your area who specialize in civil rights or discrimination law. You can also ask for referrals from friends, family, or other professionals who have experience with similar legal issues.

During your initial consultation with an attorney, be sure to discuss your specific situation in detail and ask questions about their experience, approach to the case, and fees. This will help you determine whether the attorney is a good fit for your needs and whether you feel comfortable working with them.

It is important to act quickly if you believe that your rights have been violated or if you have been falsely accused of a crime. There may be time limits or deadlines that apply, and evidence or witnesses may become less reliable over time.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: A starting point could be to reach out to civil rights attorneys. In addition to your own searches, you could look into the resources of local and bar associations, as well as the tab above, Find a Lawyer. Those resources are outside the scope of this forum, and any arrangements are between you and attorneys you reach out to. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.