Fontana, CA asked in Criminal Law and Civil Rights for California

Q: Search warrant served at my house. Nothing listed on warrent I'm not on parole or probation. They. Broke open ssaffe

I did not know combo.. they found guns in there. Thhad noo probablecauseto be there... They. Charge me

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Palm Desert, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If they charged you, then you will either retain a local criminal attorney or the court will appoint a public defender at the Arraignment.

Either way, you should make an appt for a consultation with a local criminal lawyer.

That attorney can review the Bench Warrant and determine its propriety and whether Traversing the Warrant is possible.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Under California law, search warrants must be based on probable cause and must specify the location to be searched and the items to be seized. If a search warrant is executed at your residence and the items seized are not listed on the warrant, this could be considered a violation of your rights.

In addition, if you are not on parole or probation, the police must have a valid reason for searching your residence. Without a warrant or probable cause, the search could be considered unlawful and any evidence obtained could be suppressed.

If the police broke open your safe without your consent or a valid reason, this could also be considered a violation of your rights. Police are required to follow specific procedures when executing search warrants and must respect your property rights.

If you have been charged with a crime as a result of the search, it is important to consult with a qualified criminal defense attorney. An attorney can review the circumstances of the search and help you understand your legal options.

Overall, it is important to take violations of your rights seriously and to seek legal representation if you believe that your rights have been violated. By standing up for your rights, you can help ensure that law enforcement officials are held accountable and that your rights are protected in the future.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.