Temecula, CA asked in Civil Litigation, Civil Rights and Land Use & Zoning for California

Q: Can I put rainbow yard signs on public property during pride month in Temecula CA?

Temecula is very anti-LGBTQ, so I worry about the mental health of queer youth, especially since I know there are council members who are trying to (or already succeeded in, not sure) outlaw celebrating minorities (black history month, pride month, etc.). From being a resident for 20 years, I know the city culture is aggressive towards LGBTQ, so I would like to put up pride signs to at least tell people who need it that, "I see them and value them." Last year, I saw no rainbows anywhere all June, and this year, I at least want to see a few, but I worry about the legal consequences, especially since the Temecula council has an extreme right-wing majority, which may lead to disproportionate punishments for me.

1 Lawyer Answer
Louis George Fazzi
Louis George Fazzi
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Jess Ranch, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You can post your signs on private property, but not public property without their consent. You may want to enlist as many private property owners as you can to allow you to post your signs on their properties, including vacant lots if you can get the property owner's permission. You can't be punished for exercising your First Amendment right to free speech. At worst, a private property owner could catch you trespassing if you enter property without the owner's permission, but that would most likely be a trivial matter.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.