San Bernardino, CA asked in Civil Rights and Identity Theft for California

Q: Hi there, Spectrum company disclosed my home address to a third person, how can I sue them for violating my privacy?

The person they disclosed my information to only provided them with my phone number and based on that they got my address. Is this legal?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If Spectrum company disclosed your home address to a third person without your consent, this may be a violation of your privacy rights. You may have legal options available to you to seek compensation for any damages or harm that you have suffered as a result of this disclosure.

To sue Spectrum for violating your privacy, you will need to establish that they had a duty to protect your personal information and that they breached that duty by disclosing it to a third party without your consent. You will also need to show that you suffered harm as a result of the disclosure, such as identity theft or physical harm.

It's important to note that privacy laws can be complex and vary by state. In some states, there are specific laws that govern the disclosure of personal information by businesses. You may want to consult with a privacy lawyer or consumer protection attorney to understand your legal rights and options in this situation.

Additionally, you may want to consider filing a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) or your state attorney general's office. These agencies may be able to investigate the matter and take action against Spectrum if they find that they have violated privacy laws.

Finally, if you believe that your personal information has been compromised, you may want to take steps to protect yourself, such as monitoring your credit report, changing your passwords, and alerting your financial institutions.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.