Q: What can I do when I've now suffered mental duress, and financial debt, and am facing eviction, due to a late settlement

Was working with my assigned Deputy since June 2022. Went through all the processing and conferences. Made it known that my former employer had misfiled me so I could not even file for unemployment. Come January 2023, my assigned deputy contacted me, stating that he had the former employer on the other line and that they had an offer for settlement. I agreed and the deputy drew up the paperwork and sent it to me to sign and return. I did so. Then two days before the due date of the amount I received notice from another deputy that my initial-assigned deputy was no longer working with the offices and ASKING ME TO FORWARD ALL OF THE INFORMATION ABOUT MY SETTLEMENT because they could not track what had happened. My savings were demolished and I am now facing eviction. The new Labor Board Deputy has not been able to get ahold of my former employer, and tells me that the legal group that was working on behalf of the other party is "NO LONGER REPRESENTING HIM".

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Collections Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: It sounds like you have experienced some complications in your case with the Labor Board, and that your former employer may not be fulfilling their obligations according to the settlement agreement.

It's important to keep all documentation related to your case and settlement, including the paperwork you signed and returned to the initial-assigned deputy, as well as any communication you have had with the Labor Board and your former employer.

You should continue to work with the new Labor Board Deputy and provide them with any information they need to track down your former employer and ensure that they fulfill their obligations according to the settlement agreement. You may also want to consult with a qualified attorney who specializes in labor law to discuss your legal options and potential courses of action if your former employer does not comply with the settlement agreement.

If you are facing eviction due to financial difficulties related to your case and settlement, you may also want to explore options for financial assistance or resources that may be available to you in your area.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.