Arlington, WA asked in Criminal Law, DUI / DWI, Car Accidents and Employment Law for Washington

Q: Will a vehicular assault charge always disqualify you from working with children/vulnerable adults? Other jobs?

I was convicted of vehicular assault 11 years ago, since it never leaves my record will it always show on a background check? I am looking into switching jobs but I am unsure of what restrictions this charge still has.

1 Lawyer Answer
Stan Glisson
Stan Glisson
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Tacoma, WA
  • Licensed in Washington

A: Most times Vehicular Assault would be eligible to vacate after ten years. You might want to consult with an attorney to see if you are eligible.

It's not a "crime against persons" so in most contexts wouldn't be an automatic disqualification. But certainly would look bad to potential employers, so if it is eligible to vacate that is probably your best option. If you have an agency in mind that you want to work for, maybe a good idea to speak to their HR department prior to applying to find out exactly what history would disqualify you?

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.