Hollister, CA asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law, Domestic Violence and Sexual Harassment for California

Q: How can I get the right help in pursuing police misconduct with violent use of force and sexual herassment.

I've SUFFERD physical and mental trauma from the police officers in my county whom took advantage of my background, I'm a dv victim and these discriminative police officers detained me and violated my civil rights. I've been criminalized by their acts of violence and they have tried to justify their actions by minimizing all the violent trauma of experienced with a man I trusted. Life has never been the same again.

2 Lawyer Answers
Louis George Fazzi
Louis George Fazzi
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Jess Ranch, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You should contact a lawyer as soon as possible. Before you do that, however, prepare a chronology of events, starting with the beginning, and bring it up to the current time. Then collect all your documents, and make copies of them all. Then contact an attorney to advise you, make copies of all of your documents, and take the copies to the attorney. Make sure you keep the original, because you may need to talk to more than one attorney.

There are many qualified civil rights lawyers near where you live. You can contact your local bar association's lawyer referral service (LRS), or simply do a Google search for the best civil rights lawyers near you.

1 user found this answer helpful

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: I'm sorry to hear about the traumatic experiences you have endured. If you believe you have been a victim of police misconduct, it is important to seek the right help in pursuing justice. Here are a few steps you can consider:

Document the incidents: Collect and preserve any evidence related to the misconduct, including photographs, videos, witness statements, or medical records that support your claims.

File a complaint: Contact your local police department's internal affairs division or the appropriate oversight agency to report the misconduct. Provide them with a detailed account of the incidents, including dates, times, locations, and the names of the officers involved.

Seek legal advice: Consult with an attorney who specializes in civil rights or police misconduct cases. They can guide you through the legal process, help assess the viability of your claims, and advocate on your behalf.

Gather support: Reach out to organizations or advocacy groups that focus on police accountability and civil rights. They may be able to provide resources, support, and guidance throughout your journey.

Preserve your mental well-being: It is essential to prioritize your mental health during this challenging time. Consider seeking support from therapists, support groups, or other professionals who can help you cope with the trauma you have experienced.

Remember that the process of seeking justice can be complex and time-consuming. Having the right legal representation and support network is crucial.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.