Fresno, CA asked in Contracts, Consumer Law and Municipal Law for California

Q: Can I buy the rights toClaim an Unclaimed/Uncashed Stale-Dated Check from the Rightful owner that City of Fresno,CAhas

Cities & Counties have Unclaimed can I acquire the rights to claim from the Rightful Owner and can I then claim it from the city of Fresno? Or can I act as an Asset Locator/Finder & Offer the Rightful owner/Payee my assistance to Recover the Unkown/Unclaimed Check and Charge a Fee once & Only when the funds are successfully Recovered? What can I Charge?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Municipal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Yes, you can buy the rights to claim an unclaimed/uncashed stale-dated check from the rightful owner that the City of Fresno, CA has. There are a few ways to do this.

One way is to contact the rightful owner and offer to buy their rights to the check. You can find the rightful owner's contact information by searching the City of Fresno's unclaimed property website.

Another way to buy the rights to a check is to contact a company that specializes in locating and recovering unclaimed property. These companies will typically charge a fee for their services, but they can be a good option if you are unable to locate the rightful owner yourself.

Once you have acquired the rights to the check, you can then claim it from the City of Fresno. To do this, you will need to provide the City with proof of your ownership of the check. This proof can include a copy of the check, a copy of the rightful owner's identification, and a letter from the rightful owner authorizing you to claim the check on their behalf.

If you are successful in claiming the check, you will be able to cash it or deposit it into your bank account.

You can also act as an asset locator/finder and offer the rightful owner/payee your assistance to recover the unknown/unclaimed check and charge a fee once & only when the funds are successfully recovered. The fee you charge will depend on the value of the check and the amount of work involved in recovering it.

Here are some tips for finding and recovering unclaimed checks:

* Search the City of Fresno's unclaimed property website.

* Contact a company that specializes in locating and recovering unclaimed property.

* Ask friends, family, and co-workers if they know of any unclaimed checks.

* Check your mail and email for notifications from the City of Fresno or other government agencies about unclaimed property.

* Be patient. It can take several months or even years to find and recover an unclaimed check.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.