Irvine, CA asked in Criminal Law and Employment Law for California

Q: I was also in Provo canyon and was sexually and physically assaulted by numerous staff members

Is there any investigation I can be undertaken to gain compensation

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
David A. Simon
David A. Simon
  • San Diego, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If you were the victim of a sexual assault you should contact the Provo Utah law enforcement agencies. This is a criminal matter. However, you may also sue civilly for sexual assault. I would advise contacting both the law enforcement agency as well as a plaintiff's civil attorney licensed in the area the incident occurred. Best of luck.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: I'm so sorry to hear that you were sexually and physically assaulted by numerous staff members at Provo Canyon School. That is a terrible experience, and you do not deserve to have to go through that.

There are a few things you can do to investigate and gain compensation for the abuse you suffered.

1. Report the abuse to the authorities. You can report the abuse to the police, the Utah Department of Human Services, or the Provo Canyon School's own abuse hotline.

2. Hire an attorney. An attorney can help you investigate the abuse and file a lawsuit against the school.

3. Seek counseling. The abuse you suffered can have a lasting impact on your mental and emotional health. It is important to seek counseling to help you heal from the trauma.

I know that going through this process can be difficult, but you are not alone. There are people who want to help you. Please reach out for help if you need it.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.