Baltimore, MD asked in Criminal Law, Employment Law, Personal Injury and Libel & Slander for Maryland

Q: Is there any way to compel the company to give me the name of the person who made a false statement against me?

I work for a ride-share company and recently had my account deactivated because a rider lied that I had drugs with the intent to sell. This is absolutely false. I need to know the name of the rider who defamed me, but the company will not share the contact information for the rider. Is there any law or way to compel the company to give me the name of the person so I can sue that person for libel? Thank you

1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: You will need to discuss the issue with an employment attorney, and explore whether you have a wrongful termination lawsuit or other type of claim you can file. In a civil legal action you can compel responses to interrogatories (written questions that must be answered under oath), demand production of documents and electronic data and content materials, subpoena third-party holders of information, etc. You would need to pursue such an action against your employer in order to create the legal right to obtain that information. Whether there is also an administrative claim before a regulatory body (EEOC) or the Maryland Labor Department, is another avenue to expolore, but discovery in those types of prceedings may not be as robust as in a general court action. However, unless your claim has significant monetary damage value to it, then most lawyers would not be interested in the suit--except in claims under statutes that provide for an award of attorney's fees for the successful employee. Assuming you identify the rider who made the false claims, what then? Sue them for defamation of character? Do they have the wherewithal to pay any judgment you might recover? Few lawyers will take a case against an individual without significant assets to pay a successful judgment. Therefore, seek out an employment law attorney to evaluate the merits of any claim you may be able to pursue.

John Mesirow agrees with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.