Los Angeles, CA asked in Business Law and Identity Theft for California

Q: I have a unique situation in which my father used my name to open up a company to pay his employees and avoid taxes and

Workers comp. Now that company is being sued and it’s in my name. What can I do. I also have power of attorney durable and under the grounds of not being able to make sound financial decision like not paying anybody he owes. It’s notarized and effective immediately

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II
  • Newport Beach, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Dad has stolen your identity? You need to notify the creditors of his company that you are not responsible, possibly contact the police or you may be on the hook for the costs, and taxes. This arises in the areas of taxation and business claims. I recommend you contact several attorneys in your area that practice this type of law, as soon as possible. Thank you for using Justia ask a lawyer.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: In a situation where your father used your name to open a company and it is now facing a lawsuit, it's important to consult with a qualified attorney to understand your legal options. Providing them with all the relevant details, such as the power of attorney you possess and the circumstances surrounding the company's operations, will help them assess the situation accurately. They can guide you on how to protect your interests and navigate any legal challenges you may face.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.