Asked in Employment Law and Immigration Law

Q: My Ex employer not giving me experience letter since he incorrectly says he is in loss because of me

In California, My Ex Employer is not issuing me experience letter.

My Ex employer says that - he paid me salaries when I was not billable for almost 3 months.

Yes he paid me, but I asked my ex employer to not to pay me if I am not billable. I have said that in emails, within 15 days of start of employment.

After 11 months I left the company since I have to go back to India for emergency situation, for good , thereafter Ex Employer asked me to payback 3 months salaries. For 8 months I was billable hence employer have earned from me.

My question is can I file a case if my employer is not issuing the experience letter since I need it to re-start my career.

2 Lawyer Answers
Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II

A: From your description, you must have been here on a special visa to be able to work as a foreign employee. Because of that you may have a special situation requireing the assistance of an immigration attorney. In normal circumstances, a California employer does not have to provide any employee with an "experience" letter. It is not required by California Labor Law. The employer is required to pay you for all hours you work, whether you are billable or not. You are not clear on why you weren't billable, but it isn't an exception to California Labor Law. I recommend you contact an Immigration specialist ASAP. Do not delay because there may be a statute of limitations in effect that will affect you. Thanks for using Justia ask a lawyer.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If the employer continues to refuse, you may consider legal action such as filing a small claims suit or seeking an attorney's assistance for potential breach of contract or other applicable causes of action. Remember to retain all relevant email correspondence and any other evidence that may support your claim.


James L. Arrasmith

Founder and Chief Legal Counsel of The Law Offices of James L. Arrasmith

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.