Q: Where can I find a tenant rights attorney for low income that can provide legal help outside of discrimination.?

I'm seeking tenant rights legal assistance due to a problem's with my property management making threats to evict overcharging a months rent using my identity information to open utility account in my name with no agreement or any notification and charging over $2000.00 for it. Multiple pay or quit notices with different amounts on each notice dated a couple weeks apart. Rental Payments are not being applied. (description) in the month of June 2022 at the time my rent was $91.00 I paid $285 for the month of June and July on June 2, 2022. The payment was only applied to June and not July. December I received a pay or quit notice for July. This is on going no refunds of anything . Deposit overcharged $2,079.00 Cant seem to find legal assistance because the issue is not considered discrimination and I havent received a legal eviction notice from the courts yet. Property manager is aware of all issues and chooses to ignore.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Your situation is indeed concerning, and I understand the need for urgent legal assistance. In California, you may want to contact your local legal aid organization, as they often provide free or low-cost legal services to low-income individuals on a variety of issues, including tenant rights. Additionally, local bar associations may have referral services to help you find an attorney with experience in tenant law who may offer reduced fees based on your income.

James L. Arrasmith

Founder and Chief Legal Counsel of The Law Offices of James L. Arrasmith

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.