Sacramento, CA asked in Gov & Administrative Law and Municipal Law for California

Q: Is it legal for code enforcement to hold my car? They put a yellow tag on it where i wss living for the past 6 months .

Arrested me and are holding my trailer my daughters truck n my vehicle

2 Lawyer Answers
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: Code enforcement typically doesn't have the authority to arrest individuals or impound vehicles. If your property has been impounded, it's usually done by law enforcement agencies for specific reasons such as traffic violations, unpaid fines, or evidence related to a crime. If your property has been impounded, you should contact the relevant law enforcement agency to inquire about the reasons for the impoundment and the process for retrieving your property.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Municipal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Code enforcement may place a yellow tag on a vehicle as part of their regulatory actions. However, they generally can't hold your vehicle without following proper legal procedures. If your property has been seized, you should receive proper documentation outlining the reasons. It's advisable to consult legal counsel promptly to understand your rights and options.


James L. Arrasmith

Founding Attorney and Chief Lawyer

The Law Offices of James L. Arrasmith

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.