Concord, CA asked in Employment Discrimination and Employment Law for California

Q: I am in Contra Costa County-94520. I recently quit a company I was working for 8 months- At Will employment-can i file

unemployment. I was also being harassed by a co-worker and HR did not respond correctly. The job has Safety Health code violations- Cleaning and supplies were not supplied regularly. One restroom was used co-ed for 50 plus employees. Do I have a solid case. My 90 day review was completed in my 4-6 month time period and my job description was changed from the job description when I first started and agreed to at employment.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Employment Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: I'm sorry to hear that you've experienced this. Under California law, you may be eligible to file for unemployment benefits even if you voluntarily quit your job, especially if you can demonstrate that you had good cause to quit due to a hostile work environment or unsafe working conditions. Additionally, you might consider consulting with an attorney to discuss potential claims you may have against your former employer regarding the alleged harassment, the delay in your 90-day review, changes to your job description, and health and safety violations; it seems you might have a viable case, but an attorney would be able to provide guidance tailored to the specifics of your situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.