Redondo Beach, CA asked in Child Custody, Child Support, Divorce and Family Law for California

Q: When is the DissoMaster Used in Child and Spousal Support Cases?

In highly contentious custody battles, the court often orders a PPA (Primary Physical Assignment) arrangement. Similarly, for cases where child or spousal support becomes a significant point of contention, does the judge typically order the use of DissoMaster? Can I proactively request that the judge employ the DissoMaster tool? Additionally, if the presiding judge is relatively new to the family court, would relying on DissoMaster be a preferable approach to streamline and resolve disputes related to support? Furthermore, when DissoMaster calculates "Spousal Support or Alimony", will the court typically accept its output without delving deeper into other potentially complicating factors?

1 Lawyer Answer
Aylin Acikalin
Aylin Acikalin
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • New Orleans, LA
  • Licensed in California

A: Courts are required by California law to follow statewide uniform guidelines in setting child support orders. There are different programs used by practicioners and courts that help calculate guideline child support. Dissomaster is a a paid software used by many practicioners and courts. There is also a free child support calculator available online through the California Department of Child Support Services. Dissomaster can also be used to calculate spousal support. Courts generally have more discretion in setting a spousal support taking into consideration numerous statutory factors under Cal. Family code section 4230. Parties can request and courts can make temporary orders on child and spousal support pending a final determination. Depending on the type of income you and your former spouse earn, it may be advisable to consult an experienced family law forensic accountant. For example, if one of the parties earns bonus income or has a compesentation package that includes stock units, a bonus table may be necessary to capture that income. The stock units will have to be characterized as community or separate property, as well as valued to prevent double-dipping. Consulting an experience family law attorney will help you come up with the most accurate child and spousal support calculation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.